Ess-a-Bagel on 1st Avenue New York NY

Less than 20 years ago, I had my first and only gig as an actor. It was small video production my friend Akko Nishimura was producing for a study abroad program her family was associated with. I was flown into New York and everyday, they had these amazing bagels catered on the set. At the end of the gig, I went to the place for a dozen to bring back home and now, every time I go to NY, I have to go to Ess-a-Bagel at 359 First Avenue, New York NY. Am I allowed to say this? It's the best bagel place in the world!!!!!! Unfortunately, Akko died in a freak drunk drivers accident in 2000. Now this place has greater meaning to me. It's a sort of pilgrimage of sorts. I miss her so much. She could light up a room just by walking in. She was my sister and you can't replace a sister. It was awesome walking up to the store this time. it had been nine years and I saw familiar faces behind the counter. I ordered my usual and went through my memories of Akko. i brought a bag of bagels back to my friends in Brooklyn. New friends. They enjoyed the bagels too.

Comments

Popular Posts