Supamu Okinawa Onigiri on 6th Street/ Koreatown





 

I saw this on IG one night and had to try it. This is located at 3324 W 6th St LA CA 90029. Supamu or the official name is Supamu Okinawa Onigiri.

So I meet Michael, who is half Japanese and half Mexican. I didn't get the full story but he's from the Bay Area and I guess decided to make the leap to LA/ Koreatown.

I have to admit, i was skeptical. Why? I've been burned by places touted on IG before. But, I love Onigiri and appreciate anyone who's trying to make a living at making something worthy of a retail with it. Because, let's be honest, we can all make Onigiri's at home.

They have a full menu of options/ variations. I chose the Sukiyaki and since I was in KTown, I got the K Pop.

I brought these back to me car because I made a thermos of hot tea. I am a sucker of simple packaging with a stamp artwork. So for starter, pulling out the meals out of the bag was nostaligic.

I ate the Sukiyaki first. One bit and you realize how homemade this is. It's not. It's a brick n mortar, professionals in a kitchen set up but the way ot fits in your hand and starts to lose it's shape after the second bit reminds me of getting one at an Obon or after my kids Asian League Basketball game.

The K Pop was spicy but not over the top. There's a slight burn but it's very slight. I don't like spicy when you can't taste the food anymore.

I am definitely going back and sampling more of the menu.

There's this one thing though. In the past ten years, several shops have tried to make a go of this corner shack and obviously none of them have made it work. There's been Korean Fried Chicken, a Dim Sum Place, a Chicken Rotisserie, etc. I hope Supamu breaks that repetition. They're good folk and they make a delicious rendition of the onigiri. Also, not everything has spam in it so it's good for Vegans and Vegetarians too.

Comments

Popular Posts