Dong Phuong Restaurant and Bakery in East New Orleans






2 weeks ago, my first time in New Orleans, I learned a little about East NO, where there's an established Vietnamese community that began slightly after the Fall of Saigon. I hope someday I can go back and learn more.

I decided to drive there, not knowing anything about anything and ended up going to Dong Phoung, a restaurant and bakery. It's located at 14207 Chef Menteur Hwy, New Orleans LA 70129. I ordered a delicious Ban Mi and a black bean dessert that was so creamy and satisfying.

Several days later, i was on a plane flight back to Los Angeles. I sat next to a man who was in his nineties and his daughter who was around fifty or so. They were coming back from a funeral in New Orleans. They were both Vietnamese. The Father, although we laughed about how expensive the in flight snacks and meals were, a deeper conversation wasn't possible. The daughter told me how they first arrived in New Orleans after the Fall of Saigon. They had fled Vietnam and made their way to Malaysia onto a refugee place for several months. They were accepted into a immigration opportunity to the US and that's how they got to New Orleans. That's how many got to New Orleans, hence todays community there. The two I was sitting next to hadn't been back in 23 years. They now live in the San Gabriel Valley. We didn't have any deep conversations. I think we were both respecting privacy. if I were more oportunistic, i'm sure i would have conversation-ed myself into an oral history session with them but I couldn't go there.

There's a chance I may be able to get back to NOLA for a project. It would be great to experience more about this community in East NOLA.


Comments

Popular Posts