Father's Office in Culver City






I met artists Shin Ono and Kio Griffith for dinner Saturday at Father's Office, 3229 Helms Avenue LA CA 90034, 310-736-2224. It's a very popular, date/singles/bar/restaurant in the Helms Building off of Venice Blvd.; not your traditional bar. There's another one in Santa Monica, which I believe is the original. Anyway, I was there once before with a friend but it was so loud and crowded we went elsewhere. Saturday night was busy as well and I got there early so I sat at the corner of the bar to wait for Kio and Shin. Tons of people coming and going, wall to wall, standing room only. The bartenders were juggling orders and one finally discovered me. I asked what he would recommend in the pale ale category and he poured my a mug of Drake's 1500 which was absolutely delicious, red, a lil bit bitter and slightly caramel-like. Dude was spot on! The wall of beers on tap is like a 70's conceptual art piece. It's haunting and daunting. I'm just not used to that many choices. Kio and Shin showed up and we found a table outside in the "patio". Big wood tables and it was a little cool that night but we had a good time. Two young girls came up to us and asked if they could share the table. Sure. It's that kind of place. Kio ordered for us, having been there before. We shared the roasted duck, hamburgers (really tasty), fries, salad, potatoes and fried shrimp. Everything was prepared well, above average and fun to eat. I'm not sure if it's the kind of place I like because it's so loud. It's challenging to have a conversation but great for people watching. I have a hard time enjoying my food in a ocean of conversations but they certainly know what they are doing.

Comments

Popular Posts