The Pantry





WOW!!!! Let he pigeons loose! Here's the 100th entry. It's the Pantry, 877 South Figueroa LA CA 90017, 213-972-9279.

In the early 80's, I was a young man in art school. My friend Steve R. and I would excuse ourselves from drawing class, get in the car and drive to the Pantry. It was there that I was introduced to buckwheat pancakes. Having been brought up on instant pancake mixes and refrigerated syrup, fresh buckwheat pancakes at the Pantry where amazing and new to me. Even today, I am still in awe of them. I love how dark they are with a hint of purple. The texture, drenched in butter and mable syrup, has a bread-like/ grainy consistency.

The Pantry has a great history, important to the City of Los Angeles. I'm not going to get into the specifics but you can really sense it when you walk into the place. It's old school on hyper-drive and the food is wholesome and very filling. They also have lunch and dinner but breakfast is the sentimental meal for me at the Pantry.

Comments

Anonymous said…
give it 2 me!
so sweet hmm...
CAFE LA LA said…
I was there earlier this year before a Laker's game at Staple Center. The food is so old school and awesome. The waiters are also like gems.

Popular Posts