Din Tai Fung



A year ago, my friend Aimee treated me to an amazing treasurer; Din Tai Fung, 1108 South Baldwin Avenue, Arcadia CA 91007, 626-574-7068, www.dintaifungusa.com

There's a history to this place which you can discover on their web page.

I remember standing in line, waiting with Aimee and a few friends for about 45 minutes before we were seated. I was told that that was normal for the place. When you walk in, there's a glass window to the kitchen and you can watch them prepare the Taipei dumplings.

The dining area is not a big place but it's aestheticaly pleasing, modern and comfortable. Aimee did the ordering. We were having fun talking about art, music and stuff. When the first order of dumplings came in its steamer, everyone was smiles. I was the only one who had never been there before. I remember they wanted me to take the first bite. I did as they watched me.

I placed the hot small pork dumpling in some vinegar and soy sauce and placed it on my tongue, closed my mouth and out of this dumpling exploded a delicious hot soup. The sensation was awesome and delicious. For some reason it reminded me of kissing. Sorry about that, anyway it was amazing. Everyone at the table asked, "What do you think?" and I replied "It's like eating perfection". We had vegetarian dumplings, shrimp, etc. We were so focused on the dumplings that it got very quite at our table at one point.

Din Tai Fung is a little bit of a trek from Downtown LA. I don't think a lot of people know about it but I have been in situations where I mentioned it and people have either said that they had heard of it or that they loved the place and were so happy to hear that I'd been there. I hope you get a chance to go too.






Comments

Unknown said…
love the before and after shots...dimmm yummmmmm!
sticks said…
DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT? WAITING IN LINE FOR 45 MINUTES? In a mini mall in San Gabriel? Far from the freeway, getting cut off trying to park, passing a zillion other restaurants along the way, spilling bobas all over the car, I think people know about this place.
CAFE LA LA said…
Hi Marietta,

yeah thanks, I thought it was a beautiful image, the empty plate, having seen its final dip of a dumpling and the silent relief of everyone around the table, so full and sleepy.
CAFE LA LA said…
Dear Sticks,

Thansk so much for visitng my blog. Yes, I agree, people know about it but what i meant was I hope more people get to know about it. You know what I mean?

-Alan

Popular Posts