Capitol Burgers



Generaly speaking, a burger place is going to have a basic menu; burger, cheese burger, Dbl burger, Dbl cheeseburger, fries, chili fries, sodas, shakes, etc. So what makes one place better than the other? Many of my favorites have come and gone; Mo Better Burger, the original Blue Cube, Sammy's. Each had its presentation, it's spices on the burger, the way they cut the lettuce, onions, tomato, and so on.

One still stands alive and kicking, Capitol Burgers, 4301 Pico Blvd., where a cheeseburger with fries is about $4.00. It is perhaps my favorite burger stand in all of LA. They're no-nonsense-burger-making ethics is second to none.

First, the burger; standard bun, very crispy lettuce, a ripe 3/4" slice of tomato, chunky diced onions, ketchup, mustard and a perfect salt & pepper combination on the burger.

The fries are "awesome". It's at least twice the amount of most places and three times that of your chain fast food place; thin, crisp and enough grease for taste but not overly oily.

Do you find that it's hard to pass on a old fashion chocolate shake? They have the old school shake machine and with a chuck-a-scoop of ice cream and pulp of milk they have mastered a really great shake that's just thick enough but not too thick.

For pastrami sandwhich lovers, your hidden treasurer awaits you but I'm a burger guy.

Everyone who's spoken to me about burgers in LA knows about Capitol Burgers. I brag about it all the time but few have actually gone. Why?

One, it's in my hood. I live about six blocks away from it and many find my hood a little scary. It's not actually scary but some find it that way. It's actually rich with culture and people. Second, those who have passed by Capitol Burger see a fairly delapidated shack with an exterior of decades of paint, a horrible landscape job and rickety wood table and benches. It's always been like that. Even when they maintain it with a fresh coat of paint, it still doesn't change much. It's not a pretty place. The order window is an old screen window with black rod-iron type bars and the menu sign above the sink is handwritten and looks like its from some roadhouse movie from the 1940's.



I have a theory. They keep it that way because it keeps out the non-believers. Sounds funny? Conspiracy theory? They know how good there food is. They're always busy enough, been in business a really long time, why change anything? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This burger has an attitude!

Comments

chanami said…
ok, i'm going to kill you alan, unless i have a heart attack first. capitol burger is the bomb... the french fries were all brands of thickness, from shoestring to steak fry. not sure if they cut them, but they are terriffic. the burger is just like that from an old hamburger stand like nancy's or the one that used to be in the old s.k. uyeda building in little tokyo, above the pool hall. sure miss those places, but capitol burger brought back all those memories... and a few calories. thanks alan.
CAFE LA LA said…
Clement,

I am so glad you went. I really feel like that place should have lines forming like Tito's or Tommy's. More people need to know about that place.

-Alan
Ellen Bloom said…
Hi Alan,
I'm a friend of Alicia's. She told me about your food blog.

I've driven by Capitol Burgers often, but never tried it. I live nearby too. Thanks so much for the review! I'll definitely stop there now.
Anonymous said…
Alan ... I Googled Capitol Burgers and stumbled onto your blog. Great job!

Some L.A. High friends and I are planning a lunch there one weekend soon. I'm really glad the place is going strong. I get a sense that the place literally has not changed in 30 years. It's probably been 20+ since I've been back. I hope their chili dogs are as good as I remember them! That was my personal Capitol Burgers favorite.
richErd said…
Gramps & Wesley make THE BEST BURGER for the price! :D

My student's father took me out to eat there a few weeks ago & I've gone back about 3 times already. That father happens to be the manager of a Fat Burger restaurant, so he obviously knows his hamburgers, right? ~lol~

Anyhow, THE BEST thing about Capitol is the fact that the prices posted on the wall have tax included, so buying a cheeseburger for $2.40 is a STEAL~!!! I highly recommend that YOU go check it out, ok? Tell Wesley that you came to dine here because you read Richerd's comment on the Internet, k? :))
Anonymous said…
I have to agree, the exterior of the establishment would turn many people away. But once you try their food, you will fall in love. I have been eating their pastrami sandwiches for about a decade and i have yet to find anything close to it. For those of you that will think twice because of it's outside appearance, give it a shot. It's not like you're eating the building!!

Popular Posts