Black Cat on Fairfax




Sunday morning, composer Inouk Demers and I went to go check out the Marclay Clock at LACMA. Inouk had never been but it was my third time. We giggled through most of it. We watched two and a half hours worth. We walked in around 7:10 AM, so after an hour of people waking up scene after scene, there started to be breakfast scenes, mostly coffee prep. I got really hungry an hour and a half into it but we stuck it out for another sixty minutes and off we went. The Clock is a masterpiece and I can't get enough of it. I love the fact that LACMA screens it in all of it's 24 hour glory. Where to go eat? Inouk used to live around there and so he too remembered Manni's, which closed. Inouk's experiences at Manni's was a staff full of rude actors waiting for their big Hollywood break. He did not like going there. The place is now called the Black Cat, 519 S. Fairfax Blvd LA CA and it looks similar to the old Manni's but with fewer baked goods and perhaps a more focused menu. We sat down and were greeted by two woman who were in charge. They were very busy with the packed house but not so busy as to make us feel at home and Inouk looked at me and said, "oh, these guys are way more nicer than the Manni's staff". It's funny how that initial vibe sets the stage for your meal. I ordered the chocolate pancakes. Inouk got the vegan granola. He had breakfast already. We also got the house brew. that coffee was delicious. My pancakes were lush with a semi-sweet chocolate and rich grains. I poured the maple and smothered it in butter. There was a seen in The Clock were the protagonist was eating hot cakes so it inspired me. It rained on our way back to the parking lot while we talked about Xennakis. I was in a hurry to go and pick up my daughter for her game in Alhambra but what an awesome morning I already had.

Comments

Popular Posts