Tokyo Lobby SGV





Tokyo Lobby is located at 927-K East Las Tunas Drive, San Gabriel CA 91776, 626-287-9972 (a mini-mall with an Albertson's). This place was highly recommended by guys in our rail maintenance division who all love food and cook and BBQ constantly. I thought a bunch of us were going today but when it was time to go, no one could or wanted to go. I was not deterred! Off I zoomed to the San Gabriel Valley. Once in SGV, I think I passed buy this place twice before realizing it was in this mini-mall. (????) Ok, there it is! I walked through a faded facade of a Japanese restaurant and into a time zone. Is this really the place? I was seated in this colorful time capsule filled with red vinyl seats, wall decor from Japan circa 1960's and 70's. I sat down and was brought a pot of tea, glass of ice water and a small dish of pickled cabbage. Why does this seem so familiar? It took a while and then it clicked. Oh, this place reminds me of my Mom and Dad's restaurant they sold in the mid 1980's. Oh, yeah, I used to wash these dishes in the back. Oh yeah, I used to sweep this floor. Just then, the bus boy passed by pushing a stainless steel push cart with empty dishes just swept up from tables across the room. Wow, I used to push that cart. I ate my meal, the #4 beef teriyaki and tempura lunch, respectful of taste buds from decades ago. I was in and out in 30 minutes. I don't like spending too much time in the past. As I paid my bill, one of the artworks on the wall waved at me. A large wood plate with a embossed/painted image of a lobster. Hmmm... I thought we threw that away when we closed our store? Nope, I guess you can't throw somethings away. By the way, when they brought the miso soup and rice. I did something I haven't done in decades, I put the rice in the soup and ate it. For a minute, I was ten years old again. Wow.

Comments

Popular Posts