La Fuente Restaurant #1





Sometimes, a place is great not just because of the food and service but more importantly, memories. In the early 90's, I was a very young man put in charge of the public art work for what is now the Metro Gold Line to Pasadena. What a crazy, nutty decision to put me in that position. My boss then, Jessica Cusick is an amazing albeit nutty arts leader and put me in charge she did and we all had a great and inspirational run. The four to five years I worked on that project afforded me to meet an amazing and diverse group of community leaders including the then Education Director of the Southwest Museum, Barbara Arvi. Barbara loved the local La Fuente Restaurant #1, 5530 Monte Vista Street, LA CA 90042, 323-258-6109 (just north of the Highland Park Station) and every chance we had, we would have a "MEETING" there. We would eat our lunch and talk about family, friends, NAtive American culture and of course we'ld squeeze something about work in. Today, for one reason or another, I wanted to visit that place having not been there for at least twelve years. It was exactly the way I remembered it. Very friendly service, small and cozy, with the decor of a time long past, this place is really ole skool Mexican American Highland Park. Well, it is a chain but there's something about this place that is still Mom and Pop, local and community loved. Back then, I used to always order the Chicken Mole but today I tried the special, a grilled shrimp and fish plate. With sides, a salad, corn tortillas and a Jamaica, I was in heaven and a little nostalgic. The fish and shrimp were filled with tasty herbs and butter. The salsa was spicy with all those little seeds flaming your taste buds. It was awesome and I missed Barbara.

Comments

John A. Carrillo said…
Man!! I use to go to the elementary school right down the street and so does did the owners son and he was my best friend I used to eat there all the time with him we also went to the one in eagle rock good memories that was along time ago I was 15 when my mother moved to florida I am 30 now, so I am glad it is still around I am still trying to track down my friend hope he is still around lol.
CAFE LA LA said…
WOW!!! That's awesome!

Popular Posts