Shin Sen Gumi Hakata Ramen in Little Tokyo








I haven't seen artist Jeffrey James Mohr as regularly as I used to but the last three times I had, he always asks if I'd been to Shin Sen Gumi Hakata Ramen in Little Tokyo yet. It's on Central between First and Second Street where Izoya used to be. When you walk in, a choreographed chorus of "welcomes" in Japanese attack you. If you aren't ready for it, it can be alarming. This is not a quite dining experience because every time a customer enters, exits, pays the bill, orders and receives their meal, a chorus of declarations or rather an update of your experience is vocalized by the entire staff. At first, I was taken aback but then I began to realize that it's an audible symbol of their intentions; the design of this particular ramen eating experience. I ordered the Hakata Ramen with a side of BBQ Ribs and roasted garlic. The sides come separately. When you add them to the ramen, the various ingredients have more of a chance to retain their individualism.

Theatrics aside, this is a really wonderful ramen place. The food is excellent. You have choices; the "cooked" ness of the noodles, the broth's intensity, and tons of additional ingredients to add to your base ramen meal. Thanks for the recommendation Jeffe!

Comments

Popular Posts