Red West Pizza











This past Saturday, I went to the opening of Mario Ybarra Jr.'s installation at CalState Dominguez Hills, which is a recreation of the interior of Red West Pizza. At the opening, I asked artist Jinx Prado if the place was still around and the answer was yes. So, of course, I drove there for dinner after the opening.

This is a classic "pizza parlor" and looks exactly like the Shakey's I used to go to as a kid.

Saturday night at Red West was exciting. It was packed! It felt like it was wall to wall locals; families, friends getting together, a very multi-generational and seemingly well loved place.

I ordered the spicy Mexican pizza, buffalo wings and an unsweetened ice tea.

There's a line to order and then a window for pick up.

The tables are in rows of wood stalls. There's a arcade in the back but I didn't notice any birthday parties happening which is common in similar settings.

This is what places like Chucky Cheese were modeled after. it's just short of mayhem in there. you can't help but leave with a smile.
 

Comments

Popular Posts