El Chato






For several years now, I have been passing by this taco truck at night. Always on the southwest corner of La Brea and Olympic Blvd, El Chato often has a line in front of it. Finally, I made it last night. The sensual environment of eating tacos off the street at night is exciting and aromatic. It reminds me of BBQ at home or breakfast at a campsite. Last night, after DRE rehearsal, Peter and I drove over to get a bite to eat. Kio had a cold and wanted to return home, do the NyQuil and sleep. Kio should have come with us because the hot sauce was memorable. I think it would have fried the cold right out of him. Check out the mural on the side. Spectacular!

Comments

Susie said…
Hello!

Found your blog from a link on dailytaco.org. Living in St. Paul, MN for another year then returning to the homeland (SoCal) - in the mean time I'll keep reading your blog and weep over the photos. Promised my hubby a taco crawl as soon we get back, so I'm taking notes. ;)
CAFE LA LA said…
Awesome Susie!!! I hope the weather's not too bad over there. We had an earthquake this morning around 4AM. It was a NICE one. Two tuff jerks and then a long lasting low rumble. Taco's. I am not sure when you were last back in LA but there's been an explosion of taco trucks and hybrid foods in catering trucks here. I know Jonathan Gold has a few articles on taco trucks on the LA Weekly website too. Tell your husband that night time is the best time. When a little bit of a chill in the air, (chil for LA standards) you can have more hot sauce.
Susie said…
Yes, I've heard about the Kogi, et al, explosion. Being a South Oxnard kinda girl, I'm more of a roach coach traditionalist, but we'll see.

BTW, loved your response to the question on your profile - it made me laugh out loud. I'm hapa, or as my mom preferred, hafu, and Mom (RIP) was a serious enka fan. :)
CAFE LA LA said…
Enka! the perfect music to sushi or ramen. My mom is a Misora Hibara fan. She actually got to meet her twice. She's a big fan. Sorry to hear about your mom, though.
Richi said…
Nice pictures and nice write up on El Chato. Love that place too. Here's their site in case anyone wants to keep up to date on their happenings: www.elchatotacotruck.com . Keep up the good work Cafe La La.

Popular Posts