Cheesestore of Silverlake


I have always enjoyed cheese but had and still have a limited knowledge of cheese. There's so much history, pedigrees and idiosyncrasies. One summer, when I lived in Japan, my friend writer and photographer Isabelle Daulete called me. She said, "Alan, will you be home tomorrow afternoon? I need to visit you". Isabelle was from Switzerland and we often shared meals with each other and exchanged what we were homesick for. She continued, "I just met a friend at the airport, who had a stop over in Russia. The rest, I will tell you when I arrive."

The next day, Isabelle showed up with a big paper bag. She sat me down and began to place the contents of the bag onto the table. It was a loaf of Russian Rye, just baked two days ago and some brie that Isabelle purchased at the international market in Tokyo. We opened up a bottle of red wine and for the next hour, ate everything.

This was the moment I began to understand cheese. Up to that moment, growing up with Kraft American cheese slices, Philadelphia cream cheese and of course the wedges of Laughing Cow cheeses left me uneducated. Sure, there was the never ending brie and nameless cheeses at art openings but I was clueless. It was that moment with Isabelle and her Russian Rye and summer melted cheese that my appreciation of cheese began to grow.

Sorry for the long story but that's the "feeling" I get, every time I visit the Cheesestore of Silver lake, 3926-28 West Sunset Blvd, LA CA 90029, 323-644-7511, www.cheesestoreSL.com

The people there have always been cordial and ready to answer the most novice of questions. For those who are lactose intolerant, i only hope you have a place filled with joy that equals a shop like this. It is like "heaven", "cheese-heaven".

I have one friend, Jorge Pardo, artist/architect/soccer fanatic, who is by far the greatest cheese lover I know. He really enjoyed the shop today and made me feel like it is indeed as good as it seems.

Comments

Unknown said…
I am craving cheese now! And crusty bread! Have you been to Nicole's on El Centro in SoPas? yum yum!
CAFE LA LA said…
Actually, I have been to Nicole's. That's a great place too. I love South Pasadena a lot. it's one of my favorite LA places.
Young Mi said…
i came to LOVE cheese while in france. i thank God everyday that He protected me from lactose intolerance that plagues most asians! i'll have to check out this cheeseshop--i also love nicole's--steeped in cheese-stink! for one of my birthdays my friends took me to the BH cheeseshop to pick up various cheeses and we had them with bread and wine--it was perfect! i love the photo of jorge.

Popular Posts