Layla Bagels in Santa Monica



 Layla Bagels is located at 1614 Ocean Park Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90405.


For almost a year, I've been working with some amazing professors at CalState University Dominguez Hills on a fairly expansive project with students in the English, Ethnic Studies and Studio Art Departments. This is part of my AIR at the Gerth Archives, focusing on the ginormous LA Free Press/ Art Kunkin collection.

David Sherman, who has taught in the English Department for decades, reached out to me and we built a curriculum for his students that is inspired by the LA Free Press articles that report on issues still relevant today.

David came over one day to meet about the project and brought these bagels.

We'd been talking about bagels for a while because David is from Montreal and it is one of my dreams to go to Montreal and eat a Montreal Bagel. If you never heard of the Montreal Bagel, please look it up. It's quite wonderful.

These Layla Bagles, which were delicious but not Montreal Bagles, were enjoyed for a couple of days and a couple of weeks later, I saw the store on Ocean Park, although it was closed already, so I would like to go back someday and try more types.

Bagles are a subject of great importance to me. I am sorry to say that i still have not had a bagel as good as Essa-A-Bagel in NY. I hope someday someone makes one in LA. I had the same kind of complaint about pizza for decades but in recent years, several wonderful pizza shops have turned up in Los Angeles, of which I am very proud of. When will the same level of magic appear regarding a bagel? In the meantime, we can enjoy these delicious Layla Bagels.

Comments

Popular Posts