Phillipes in Downtown LA





I was watching one of my favorite TV shows last week, Man VS Food and Adam went to Phillipes. It inspired my visit today for lunch.
Phillipes, 1001 N Alameda St, Los Angeles, CA, (213) 628-3781, is allegedly the birth place of the French Dip. (Cole's said they were but in a Downtown News report several years ago, they did their research and claimed Phillipes was it). You can get beef, pork, turkey or lamb French Dip. I usually order turkey, double dipped with bleu cheese but Adam said the beef was the best so I thought I'd give it another try. (I'd been ordering my usual turkey combo for about ten years now). The beef was succulent and tender. The roll is fresh with that crispy outside. I'm also a fan of the beef stew, chili, rice pudding and macaroni salad. In the back, is a train museum filled with memorabilia of LA's train history. There's also a very cool candy counter with treats from the present, past and way past. My favorite Phillipes item is their mustard. It taste like it has horseradish but apparently it doesn't. it's just hot, like wasabi hot.

Comments

JustinM said…
There are very few places in all of Los Angeles that I like being more than a communal table at Phillipe's. There is nothing better in the world than a turkey dip, slathered with mustard, and two glasses of their iced tea.
Sheila Schoonhoven said…
Alan, Phillipes lamb is the bomb! Unless you are a person who does not like lamb you have got to try it.
Hey, my son Aaron works on Man vs Food.

Sheila
CAFE LA LA said…
Hi Shelia,

Great opening at COMA the other night. Thanks for inviting me.

Your son works on that show? I love that show!

I'll try the lamb next time. bbbBBBBAAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh.....

Popular Posts