Hallenbeck's General Store and Cafe in NoHo






I was working on a project in NoHo this week and past by the location where the old Iliad Bookshop used to be on Lankershim. There used to be a punk presents there back in the 80's. I think they even had music performances and poetry readings there. NoHo has really stepped it up. There's been a lot of building in that area. Well, someone I was working with told me that the Iliad was still around and moved over to Cahuenga. After our meeting, I drove over and there it was, The Iliad bookstore. It was awesome! I bought four art books for under $50. If you like books and LA history, you have to know about this place. Well, a half a block north of the Iliad, is a really unique cafe. The Hallenbeck's General Store and Cafe is located at 5510 Caheunga Blvd, North Hollywood CA 91601. it's a relatively new place but it's designed to look like a general store from the 30's or 40's. I ordered a sandwhich called the San Francisco which came in a delicious pressed roll with peaches, ham, melted cheeses, onions, lettuce and some spicy mustard. They have B Splits but I just couldn't do it so I ordered their popular peach pie. Next door is an acting school, so perdiodically you have all these great looking men and women reading scripts or coming in between classes. I guess that's very Hollywood, or North Hollywood. On a side note, the sink fixtures are super cool looking. Kinda Deco-like. They even have a stage and feature live music during the week.

Comments

guitaryoda said…
I play there about 3-4 times a year. Great sound and a very nice well equipped state of the art studio upstairs tied to the stage for really good live recordings if you wanna pay for it.
Good selection of vintage reissue sodas too.

Popular Posts