Mako on Vermont north of Hollywood BLVD






My friend Anna Homler, awesome performance artist and sound artist, said she wanted me to meet her friend who was also into food. Simone Gad is an actress and painter/collage artist. Her work is montages of eccentric vision, full of color, mood, humor and a dash of darkness. She lives in Los Feliz and when asked where shall we eat? I thought of Mako's. I hadn't been there since the late 80's when I went a lot with a friend of mine during my Otis years. I remember it being yummy and cheap. It's next door to Skylight Bookshop. The Japanese Food menu is filled with Americanism, i.e. Teriyaki plates, California Rolls. We ordered a ton of stuff including Teriyaki Salmon, Tempura, and Teriyaki Chicken. Simone was cool and funny. I remember her in the movie SPEED. She played one of the bus riders on that bomb strapped RTD with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullocks. I can't say Mako's serves great food but it's fun food. I look forward to going back again. Simones got a painting exhibit at L2K Contemporary in Chinatown coming up that should be awesome.

Comments

Popular Posts