Shakas






Shakas has two locations. We went to the one at 2300 Garfield Avenue, Montebello CA 91754 323-888-2695. I've been there before and really liked the family atmosphere, as all Hawaiian food places should be. First of all, I am a sucker for Lau Lau (spinach, chunks of pork and butterfish stemed in a taro leaf). As a child, my Aunt Jeannie, who was born and raised in Hawaii, always had frozen Lau Laus from Hawaii or a local fundraiser for me in her freezer. When I went over, I'd be on the counter eating my Lau Lau while all the other kids were playing outside. I can't say I can eat those everyday as it's basically Hawaiian soul food and full of grease, fat and carbs. Pretty bad for my cholesterol but this weekend, I went to Shakas twice and ate them two days in a row. They also have traditional Hawaiian comfort foods like Spam musubi, Lomi Lomi Salmon and Saimin. I love the fact that they also have the Hawaiian sodas and shave ice. Check out the Spam window ala Warhol. (very nice)

Comments

Popular Posts