Tokyo 707 Coffee Shop



I was introduced to Tokyo 7-7, 3839B Main Street, Culver City CA 310-204-5728, by artist Clement Hanami. A couple years ago, he asked if I'd been there for breakfast and when I said "no", he insisted I had to check it out as it's been there for so long (24 years two months from now) and was a staple for not only the Culver City area but the local Asian American community as well.

This morning, I had some time between dropping my kids off school and visiting Nova Color Paints, so I planned to stop by Tokyo 7-7 for breakfast. It's in an odd space. In between a parking structure, alley way and the backside of Main Street Culver City, it's like a secret. There are lots of places in these out-of-way spaces or off-the-beaten-path places in Tokyo. Often, they are the more affordable and tastier mom and pop eateries and Tokyo 7-7 is kinda like that.

I ordered Cha-shu with eggs. Tokyo 7-7 Cha-shu has teriyaki sauce on it which is unusual. I had sourdough toast and it comes with either homefires or rice. I ordered homefries. When I asked for hot tea, I was asked "Lipton or green tea?", now that's too cool.

Comments

Anonymous said…
From: Winfrey, Sarah
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 9:30 AM
To: Nakagawa, Alan
Subject: RE: food, glorious food!

Hi Alan,

I'm not sure if you get to the South Bay that often, but I have a couple of places that you may like. I usually go with my dad and he is very much the type of person that like a restaurant that isn't a chain and that has distinction.

For Greek food, one of the best places in the SB is Papadakis Taverna in San Pedro.

For food from the British Isle try the Whale and Ale British Pub also in San Pedro. It has great tasting authentic English food. During the summers it even has a package for dinner and Shakespeare By the Sea play.

I love trying new restaurants, so I''l take some advice from your website.

Sarah
Anonymous said…
the great thing is the price... breakfast special is $2.35 (used to be $2.15) and is not overwhelming like other places. meals don' t have to be super large, although in america, they often are... tokyo 7-7 is just right. and the service is so wonderful. i always feel like a friends mom is serving me.... their lunches are also very affordable but get there early as they close early.

as for papadakis, that is good place owned by petros papadakis uncles... (former usc rb and famous talk show personality). but my favorite greek place is still papa christo's on pico....
miso said…
I passed by that place walking out of the parking structure and was really curious. I'm going to check it out.. I wonder how their lunch is?
CAFE LA LA said…
Oh yeah! The Petros and Money Show. I listen to that all the time. I have yet to go on a Wednesdya night to papa Cristo's. It's really near my house too. Maybe soon.

Popular Posts