Portsmouth in Whittier CA

These past few weeks, I have been very lucky to have been invited to the Cerritos College Printmaking Artist Residency Invitational. It's the inaugural session and I have been having a BALL!!!! I've designed two series of works. One is based on my research at the Smithsonian Museum of American History two years ago when I was invited to research the history of the hearing aid. The other series is based on this idea of the binary and feminism. Two diverse topics but each very connected to "listening"...yes, that's right. Anyway, Whittier being close by, I paid a visit to artists Nathalie Sanchez and fellow Cerritos fellow, artist Wayne Perry. They introduced me to Portmouth, in DT Whittier. What an amazing and expensive place. Well, you get what you pay for at this place. The dinner was fabulous, FABULOSO!!!! The wine, pictured here, I had never heard of (no surprise there) but MANN it was delicious. DT Whittier is very different than it was when I first visited it in the mid 80's. It's filled with hip shops and bars, etc. After dinner, I was in a food coma but I parallel-ed a Craigslist but to this journey. We walked several blocks to the dudes house and BOOM, I was a proud owner of Harmony guitar circa 1940's. It's fixer-upper but it should be cakewalk. I sense the guitar has a dark history. Anyone know a Shaman? Portsmouth, 13103 Penn St, Whittier, CA 90602

Comments

Popular Posts