Typhoon at Santa Monica Airport

Last night, I had dinner with artist Rena Small who was a professor of mine at UC Irvine in the late 80's. She's quite wonderful. We decided to go to Typhoon located at 3221 Donald Douglas Loop South, Santa Monica CA 90405, 310-390-6565. Rena made a joke about eating worms that week so Typhoon seemed the logical place to eat. We ended up not ordering the worms, or scorpion, crickets or ants and went normal with our menu selections, which included; steamed pork dumplings, steamed pork gyoza, green thai curry, garlic brown rice, pad thai, and the moulten chocolate cake with vanilla bean ice cream. Rena had a martini because that's the way she rolls and I had the Tiger beer, which was icy cold and full of flavor. Typhoon is hidden near the air strip so you have to make several turns around the new sports field off of Centinela to get to the restaurant's parking lot. The sounds of the occasional single jet can be noisy if the door is open. I opted for the upstairs because I find the downstairs has horrible acoustics unless you don't want to talk to those at your table, then it's perfect for that. I wanted to talk to Rena so we went upstairs. Also, there was a Latin jazz band playing downstairs last night, so for sure we would not have been able to catch up. The food was good. If I want great pad thai or green curry, I might go to Sunset's Red Corner. If I want great gyoza, Alhambra or Montery Park. Blah, blah, blah but they probably wouldn't have Moulten Choclate Cake or be able to serve a well poured martini for Rena. Give a little, take a little. I am not sure if I will ever order the Silk Worm Larvae. I am not the least bit curious, either. I'll have to grow up a little bit more before I eat that.

Comments

Popular Posts