Papa Dons Deli


I remember the first time I went to Papa Dons, 303 Pasadena Avenue South Pasadena CA 91030 626-799-8397, in the early 90's. It felt so hidden but I guess that's because I was so new to the South Pasadena area. They have great salami and meatball sandwiches and their soups a delicious. I think what I like most about the place are the cool folks who work there. It really feels like a labor of love, a family-vibe, and reminder of the Italian population that used to be so large around there and all the way to Chinatown. Galco's, Eastside Deli., Stefano's, etc. There are still places that give you a glimpse of what the LA Italian tradition is rooted in. Pictured here is "The Lite". I didn't get the meatball 'cause I had just eaten a banana split at Buster's down the block.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Papa Don's has re-opened under new ownership as of February 29, 2008.
The menu of fresh deli meats; meatball
supreme sandwich; the Godfather with
almost a dozen meats and cheeses is sharper than ever with a new cook/owner.
The Italien deli menu has been maintained with new specials every day of the week. Closed Sundays--serves from 11:00 a.m. to 3: p.m.
CAFE LA LA said…
Thanks for the update. I due for another lunch there.
young said…
hi Alan,
how funny that they have a link to your review on their website! did you know that? was checking this place out to see about food for volunteers for our event tonight. reviews on the food are quite mixed. you don't seem wowed by the food...cool to be directed to your page this way. : ]

Popular Posts