Zizou in Lincoln Heights
In my on going search to find a listening lounge in Los Angeles, as in Ongaku Kissa or Jazz Kissa, next on the list was Zizou. I asked Mo and Edwin to join me and there we were at a fairly secluded storefront that leads to an oasis like dining interior.
I got there first and mentioned to the staff that i was especially interested in their sound system
They sat us right in front of one of the main speakers, a custom multi speaker cab with several mids and tweeters with speaker holes for future speakers. There was a sub-woofer against one of the walls and the sound was really majestic. Unfortunately, I don;t think anyone was listening to the music because the voice level was louder than the music and again, we were sitting right next to one of the speakers.
The food was incredible but even though I had gone eating with Edwin before, I never knew that sometimes he didn't eat. We ordered the short ribs and both sardine based entries. Oh well, Mo and I really enjoyed the sardines. One plate was a sepcial, a Japanese sardine on a cracker like wafer. The other was Morocan sardines in a tin with tons of spices. I preffered the Morocan sardines but everything was delicious. I ordered a pale ale while Mo had a cocktail. Edwin did have a beer but no food. This wasn't planned but because Mo and Edwin have tons of musical knowledge, Mo is Haitian and Edwin is a professor of Black Studies at USC with a specialty in music, so they totally educated me on what each track was, often with information on the origin of the music and the singer. It was an amazing evening.
I'm gonna keep trying to find a listening lounge in Los Angeles. i know there's gotta be one here somewhere.












Comments