Happy Dog in Cleveland Ohio






 I met AJ Kluth in LA as he was winding down his PHD at UCLA. Since then, we've had a friendship and professional relationship based on similar interests and aesthetics. He's writing a paper based on one of my sound works and the last time I saw him, prior to this last week, was a kind of Bon Voyage meal in Koreatown.

He'd say often via text or email that he wanted to get me out to Cleveland where he has been hired as a lecturer in the Music Department at Case Western Reserve University. Finally, that arrangement of a series of lecturers happened last week; two at the University and one at the Cleveland Museum of Art.

AJ picked me up at the airport and gave me a tour of Cleveland. My flight had been delayed so I got in rather late.

He gave me a list of three places we could get a bite to eat. It was late he said and the selection was slim. 

He prefaced "Happy Dog" as one of his favorite places. To me it was a no-brainer and soon we were sitting at the counter of this cafe-bar-live house. I was introduced to some of the staff and most if not all of them seem to be musicians.

I wanted a low alcohol beer and AJ recommended Old Speckle Hen from Great Britain. I had never had this beer. It was so delicious and flavorful, deeply British and pleasant.

The hotdog menu has a spectacular list of potential fixings. I chose a) sloppy joe, b) carmelized onions and bleu cheese. The roll was an egg bread type. It fell apart the moment I attempted to pick it up. Very sloppy indeed! If it wasn't so late, I might have ordered another one it was so good; a grand welcome to Cleveland.

If i ever get to go back to Cleveland, I would love to go back here and maybe try a completely different dog but most likely it'll be the Old Speckle Hen once again!

Located at 5801 Detroit Avenue Cleveland Ohio, 44102-3001. A tremendous introduction to Cleveland for what turned out to be a joyous four night stay.

Comments

Popular Posts