Waka Sakura Sushi in Gardena (2nd Floor of Marukai)















When this place started storming the internet a while back, I happened to be at Marukai a week or two later to shop (Tokyo Central). It was a Wednesday. I was there around 5PM and they posted that they had received the max RSVP's that day and had closed the reservation portal. Pretty Impressive.

So there i was last night and thought I'd give it a try. 

I went upstairs, put my info in the computer and it read that the wait was 20 minutes. I brought a book so I was reading when my phone buzz'd that the table was ready. I walked in and to my surprise, a lot of the tables were empty. Maybe they were short staffed last night?

I ordered all of the above sushi. It tasted pretty good. It's odd, the whole conveyor belt process. The last time I went to Kura on Sawtelle it was the same kind of thing. There's the bare minimal human contact. It feels like you're eating in a spaceship. You know that Twilight Zone? To Serve Man...?

The fish is wonderful. Really well prepared in slightly smaller than normal form. What was new to me was the rice. Rather than the traditional shape (you make that hand gesture of two fingers flat onto the palm of your other hand), it is almost like it came out of a tube. The ends of the rice are equal in shape and size as the center. One consistent diameter. Also the rice consistency is perfect but has a tan shade. It's as if they brush soy sauce or something like that onto it before the fish or was it brown rice? I was confused. Afterwards, last night, my stomach felt a little funny and I wondered if this had anything to do with that.

I'm glad i got a chance to see it. When i lived in Japan and was a student, the occasional meal at a KEITEN sushi shop was a real treat. I prefer non spaceship sushi shops. I like to watch the sushi chef make the sushi. I like sitting at counters so sushi shops are my jam. That's all missing here. Still, the fish was really good. So I have mixed feelings about my expereince. I did like the Wagyu sushi. That was delicious. Located at 1740 Artesia, Tokyo Center, Gardena CA 90248 (second floor). ADA accessible.

 

Comments

Popular Posts