Bistro on the Blvd in Koreatown







My second meal here. Yes, the burritos! My friends recommended I return and order the breakfast burrito and they were absolutely correct. It was an entirely different level of experience. Also, their friend rice is highly touted so I may have to go once again to order that.



*****

Delighted is not a word I use often, certainly not in speech nor is delightful or delighted. It's a word always readily available, an emotion or impression I am in constant search of but not in daily speech use. It's like that word save, as it's used by Patti Smith in her wonderful book Just Kids. Does she use it in daily speech? I'd never heard of the use of that word that way before until I read the book but now notice it from time to time, however, I've never heard it in daily use, in speech. Does Patti Smith use it in daily speech?

Bistro on the Blvd. has been here for 40 years, nestled in a building that houses the Archdiocese. Who knew? evidentally a lot of my friends knew. I just found out about it three weeks ago. First Mike Pak posted it on his Koreatown account on IG, then Eric during Bicycle Meals said he's been there a lot and then my friend Boaz says he's been there a few times and likes it very much. Therefore, I was DELIGHTED to have breakfast there last week.

Forty years? In my neighborhood? What else is hidden or somewhat hidden to me in my neighborhood.

Recently, Shan Shaihk had a screening of his new film La Ida Y Vuelta at the First Unitarian Church on 8th Street. It was called Community Night and many ofthe families who's family members were in the film came. Shan also did a project with students through KYCC and the screened the two films that came out of their collaboration in addition to screening La Ida Y Vuelta. Placed in between all that was a panel discussion about Koreatown with Shan, me and Mike Pak. Towards the end of that public exchange, Shan asked me how long have I been in Koreatown? When I answered sixty years, you heard a collective awe from the audience. That in a nutshell is summary of recent experiences. I am now often the oldest in the group and often have the unusual experience of being in one place for a very long time. History, apparently, has become my resume.

So it was with great DELIGHT, that I found myself sitting in Bistro on the Blvd, 3424 Wilshire Blvd, LA CA 90010-2263 (but you access the 2nd floor cafe via Mariposa Avenue), and watch the occasional Clergy or Catholic office staff or Sister stand in line for their breakfast and enjoy my Pancake Breakfast Set.

The outdoor seating area is quite lovely and DELIGHTFUL as well but that morning, it was the interior space where all the action was.

Comments

Popular Posts