Motto in Pasadena







 

I saw this place on IG with the fluffy and wobbly pancake stack so the next time I was in Pasadena, I dropped by.

Every dish seems to be named with something Asian adjacent or Japanese adjacent but i've never seen these in Japan. I wonder if this is actually invented by non-Japanese? I couldn't find any origin stories on the website although there's a second spot in San Gabriel. It reminds me of Mr. Donuts in Japan. In the 1980's Mr. Donuts claimed they were from Boston but that ended up being a made up story. They have since stopped telling that story. LOL.

Anyway, the coffee was delicious and the dancing stack was so fluffy and sweet. They say the buoyancy is made possible by the fluffy egg whites.

It is a fun thing to eat but not so wonderful that I crave it for a second visit. I'd rather have actual pancakes. Like at the Pantry or somewhere like that. Having said that, it's fun to try it at least once. 

The best part is before you eat it and you jiggle the plate, that's so fun to see it move like a cloud. Really sculptural. Located at 100 W Green St, Pasadena CA 91105.

Comments

Popular Posts